ABC Binding Showcase: The Crisscross binding
The ABC Executive is delighted to announce a nationwide binding ‘Showcase’! Our members have told us that while they don’t want more competitions, they do want more opportunities to present and exhibit bindings bound by everyone - beginners to advance bookbinders.
We decided to start the Showcase series with a simple binding with loads of interesting visual potential that opens well - the Crisscross binding. We’ve chosen the binding style, so you, the binder, can make the choices on the content (or leave blank), design and materials for your Crisscross binding(s).
Some of you may know this binding as the ‘Secret Belgian Binding’. Contrary to popular myth it is not an historic binding – it was invented in the mid-1980s by Anne Goy, a Belgian based bookbinder. She wanted a book that would open flat but with the appearance of the Japanese stab sewing. Anne Goy calls this binding the “Crisscross binding" and so shall we.
Because we hope to tour the Showcase throughout NZ we need to build up some funds for the creation of transportation containers, venue hire and postage - hence the tiered entry fee.
There are just a few rules for entering the Showcase:
• create a Crisscross binding, using the techniques described by Anne Goy
• be, or have as a sponsor, a paid up ABC member (until 31 March 2021).
• click here to enrol online A PDF can be supplied to those who find the online aspect daunting.
• pay the entry fee(s) (which includes the return of your entry) to the ABC bank account: ASB Bank 12 3065 0145423 00. Fees: ABC paid up members: $15 for the first entry and $10 for the second and third entry. Maximum entries = 3
Non ABC members need to be sponsored by an ABC member
Fees: Non ABC paid up members: $30 for the first entry and $20 for the second and third entry. Maximum entries = 3
• ensure completed books are delivered to The Treasurer, 8a Astrolabe Place, Gulf Harbour, Auckland 0930 by 31 March 2021.
• allow any entries to be photographed and used by ABC for promotional purposes and agree that participation in the competition is at your own risk. All submitted bindings will be handled with the utmost care.
You have 3 months to decide what your Crisscross binding design and materials will be. If you have questions or need further information please do not hesitate to contact the ABC by email at: email@example.com
We are looking forward to seeing your creations.
The ABC Executive
For more information about:
• Anne Goy’s crisscross binding see https://www.esperluete.be/images/Anne-Goy.pdf
• how to create these bindings see https://www.ibookbinding.com/blog/top-10-secret-belgian-binding-tutorials/
• other binders interpretations of this binding style see Terrie Reddish’s Pinterest board: https://pin.it/6P2K8uZ